Nitty-gritty job: the most important aspects or practical details of a subject or situation: informal
“let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of finding a job”
Reconciliations: the action of making one view or belief compatible with another:
“He aims to bring about a reconciliation between art and technology”
- To highlight my point in a presentation I would exaggerate my point a bit.
TV Drama ‘Suits’: Season 3 Episode. 12 & 13
- It’s not gonna hold up: You can say that but it’s not gonna hold up in court.
- Be on borrowed time: If someone or something is living on borrowed time or is on borrowed time, they are not expected to survive for much longer.
- Can/can’t deliver on it: To fulfill an obligation, such as keeping a promise or paying a debt.
When someone you know loses a loved one:
- My condolences to you and your family.
- I’d like to offer my deepest condolences to you and your family.
Key point: Present Perfect VS Past Simple
I’ve been playing baseball in my neighborhood since I was little.
= You still do the activity these days.
I played baseball in my neighborhood when I was little.
= You no longer play baseball in your neighborhood.
I was surprised by both the batter and the pitcher. They are both good athletes.
I was surprised because both the batter and the pitcher are good athletes.
There was an art exhibition at my kid’s school but only one parent was permitted to attend.